What work is included in the project?
The purpose of this project is to improve the West A Street corridor beginning at the West City Limits and extending east to the intersection of Folsom Street.
The project includes work associated with
- Topographic Survey
- Traffic analysis
- Roadway alternatives analysis
- Roadway design
- Drainage design
- Environmental review
- Public involvement
What does the City of Lincoln evaluate for arterial roadway improvement projects, like West A street?
- Cross Section (number of lanes)
- Proper Speed Limit
- Intersection Control
- Turn Lanes
- Proper Access (median breaks)
- Pedestrian Crossings
What are the possible construction improvements that will be considered for this project?
- Raised medians
- Additional lanes
- Trail and pedestrian access
- Storm water drainage enhancements
- Street lighting
- Intersection control
- Four-way stop
- Two-way stop
- Traffic Signal
How will the City decide on the possible improvement for the final design?
The alternatives will be evaluated on multiple criteria that include: environmental impacts, ROW impacts, constructability, access during construction, cost, and public input. The City will select a final design alternative after the second public meeting in October 2017.
What is the project schedule?
- First Public Meeting – May 25, 2017
- Traffic Analysis, Development of Roadway Alternatives – June to October, 2017
- Second Public Meeting – Present Design Alternatives – October, 2017
- Project Preliminary Design – November, 2017 to May, 2018
- Third Public Meeting – Present Design Progress – May, 2018
- Project Final Design (Right of Way Plans) – June, 2018 to November, 2018
- Fourth Public Meeting – Review Project and Present ROW Needed – November, 2018
- Construction Begins – 2020 & 2021
How is the project being funded?
The project is locally funded through a combination of impact fee revenues and wheel tax dollars.
How can I be involved with the West A Improvement project?
- Public engagement opportunities are available throughout the project study, design and construction phases in the form of public meetings.
- Citizen and business advisory committees are being engaged on this project. If you would like to be involved in the advisory committee contact us at email@example.com , or sign-up at one of our meetings.
- You also can follow project @westAstreet on Twitter or by signing up for our RSS feed on the project website.
When will the public and businesses know about property acquisition and easements?
The City plans to have preliminary right-of-way and easement needs identified by June 2018. This information will be available for review and discussion at a future open house currently scheduled. One-on-one meetings can also be scheduled to discuss any impacts to specific properties. The City plans to finalize the right-of-way and easement needs by November 2018 and begin the appraisal process. More information on the acquisition process is available in the Right-of-Way Acquisition and Your Property pamphlet on the City’s website.
How will I be able to access my home or business during construction?
Refer to the city of Lincoln’s Website: Access During Construction Coping with Construction: What to Expect